I tossed these romesco stuffed chicken breasts together on a whim, and now it’s one of my family’s favorite recipes. Serve it with rice, cauliflower rice, or over a side of roasted vegetables.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Romesco Stuffed Chicken Breasts
This recipe was randomly created as I was shooting a video for my YouTube channel. I wung the recipe and it turned out beautifully first try.
I was filming for my romesco sauce recipe and saw I had chicken, mozzarella, and spinach on hand so I butterflied the chicken breasts and gave it a whirl while filming and it worked out beautifully.
Watch the video below.
Don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you can keep up on all the cooking and nutrition tips!
Since this recipe for the stuffed chicken was created randomly, I didn’t have my small baking dishes ready (I only used two chicken breasts), so I used a pie pan. Grab whatever works for you.
I do recommend using toothpicks. They’re not needed but it’s helpful to prevent the filling from spilling out.
The recipe is fairly simple and there are only five ingredients used (not including salt and pepper for seasoning).
- Chicken breasts (I used two)
- Homemade romesco sauce (you can totally use store-bought as well if you can find it but it takes seconds to whip up).
- Fresh spinach
- Mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese
How much cheese to use
This is totally up to you and your nutrition goals. I sliced whole mozzarella roughly 1/4 inch thick and then in half again. This was helpful in evenly placing the cheese on the butterflied chicken.
If you like it extra cheese, feel free to add more and sprinkle some on top! I also sprinkled some optional parmesan cheese on top as well (parmesan makes everything better – yum!).
How to Make Stuffed Chicken with Romesco Sauce
As I mentioned before, this is such an easy recipe! I know you’re going to love it.
More chicken recipes to add to your meal plan:
- Easy Lemon Oregano Chicken
- Instant Pot Latin Chicken and Rice
- Rotisserie Chicken Tacos
- Gluten Free Chicken Fajita Pizza
- Healthy Chicken Stuffed Peppers
Don’t forget, if you’re looking to establish healthy habits (like adding more vegetables to your diet in fun and tasty ways) be sure to secure a spot in the 30 Days to a Healthy Habits Challenge.
Romesco Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup romesco sauce
- 1 cup spinach fresh
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese or 2 1/4" slices of whole mozzarella
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray (I use avocado oil spray) but you can drizzle with olive oil if you don't have any.
- Slice the chicken breasts down the center (leaving the end) so it's butterflied (think of it as being like an open book). Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Divide the romesco sauce between the two chicken breasts and spread evenly. Then do the same with the spinach and cheese.
- Fold the chicken half over and seal with toothpicks (you don't have to but it saves a bit of a mess).
- Spread any extra romesco sauce over the chicken breasts (or add more for extra flavor). Top with parmesan cheese (and option extra mozzarella).
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until chicken is 175 if using a meat thermometer.