This Spicy Chocolate Mug Cake is the perfect sweet treat that’s completely fuss-free. It’s a gluten-free and vegan-friendly dessert that’s ready in under 10 minutes.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Spicy Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe
Sometimes you just need a fast dessert recipe – stat. That’s why I love this hot chocolate mug cake. It has a little bit of spice, a whole lot of chocolate and it’s ready in less than 10 minutes (because it’s cooked in the microwave).
It’s made with no eggs, so if you have an allergy, you’re in the clear.
How Many Servings Does This Mug Cake Make?
Whether you’re looking for a mug cake for one or a double serving for two, this recipe has you covered.
You can totally eat this yourself (preferably while watching reruns of The Office and wearing PJs) or if you want a low calorie chocolate mug cake recipe, you can share it with something.
Gluten Free Mug Cake Ingredients
To make this chocolate cake in a mug, you need the following:
- avocado oil
- unsweetened almond milk or any milk you prefer
- sugar (white, coconut sugar, brown sugar, use what you like)
- cacao powder
- vanilla extract
- gluten free all purpose flour
- baking powder
- cayenne pepper
- sea salt
- chocolate chips (use dairy free if you’re vegan)
- Whipped cream, or a dairy free alternative. My favorite is the So Delicious Coco Whip (found in the freezer section).
Here are a few different recipe variations so you can enjoy your own personalized microwave chocolate cake.
- Swap gluten free flour for all purpose flour if that’s what you have on hand. Please note, there is a chance this recipe won’t come out the same. So be warned.
- Leave out the cayenne if you don’t want it spicy.
- Swap the sugar for coconut sugar, brown sugar or whatever you have on hand.
- Use whatever milk you have in the fridge if you don’t have unsweetened almond milk.
Can I Make This In The Oven Instead?
This deliciously gooey chocolate mug cake was tested in the microwave, so I don’t recommend putting it in the oven.
Feel free to experiment how you see fit, but there is always the chance this won’t work out for you.
How to Make a Spicy Chocolate Mug Cake?
This is one of the easiest recipes you’ll make. You simply have to toss a few ingredients in a microwave-safe mug, stir it, and zap it for 7 minutes.
Important tip: Make sure your mug is microwave safe and it’s big enough for your batter. It will rise while being cooked.
Easy Healthy Dessert Recipes
If you want to try a few healthier or single-serve dessert recipes, here are a few reader favorites:
- Single Serve Paleo Brownie
- Pina Colada Ice Cream Recipe (Dairy Free)
- Black Forest Chia Seed Protein Pudding
- Protein Peanut Butter Cups Recipe
PS: If you want to kick it up a notch, serve it with a little bit of ice cream right when it comes out of the microwave.
Spicy Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 5 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk or any milk you would like
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup gluten free all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips dairyfree if vegan
- Whipped crean dairyfree if vegan, coco whip is my favorite
- Extra cinnamon and cayenne
- Place all of the ingredients in a mug and mix well. Microwave on high for 85 seconds, letcool for 5 minutes before serving.
The nutrition information is calculated using a third party resource. The accuracy varies on the brands used, weight, portions, etc. This resource should be used as a guide. If you want more accurate information, weigh in grams and log in MFP.