This Instant Pot Southwest Chicken Soup packs a lot of flavor, in a small amount of effort. Loaded with chicken, black beans, and southwestern flavors this soup is a delicious option all year round.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Southwest Chicken Soup
I love a good soup recipe and this southwest chicken tortilla soup inspired recipe hit the spot.
Chili powder, cumin, and garlic are common flavors in my house. A little goes a long way and they go on everything! When in doubt, add Mexican spices to food.
These flavors make everything good, it’s why my clients get a ton of Mexican-inspired recipes for their meal plans and recipe books for my nutrition coaching (you can learn more about my nutrition services here by the way). Whether it’s southwest soup with chicken, grilled steak kebabs, or Mexican Quinoa Salad.
This recipe is easily adapted to make on the stove top of slow cooker, just take down the cook times and make it work for your situation.
Southwest Chicken Soup Ingredients
To make this Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup, you will need the following ingredients:
- avocado oil
- green pepper
- garlic (lots because garlic is my love language)
- chicken broth
- canned black beans
- fire roasted tomatoes if you can’t find fire-roasted diced tomatoes, you can use rotel.
- corn (I used frozen)
- rice (I used basmati since it’s what I had in my pantry)
- frozen cauliflower rice
- chili powder
- chicken breasts
I like to top my southwestern chicken soup with a spoonful of greek yogurt. It tastes like sour cream but has less fat and more protein. Plus it’s delicious! I also add it to chili, give it a try.
To make an Instant Pot chicken soup, you’re going to need an Instant Pot or pressure cooker of some kind.
I actually used a Ninja Foodi for this recipe, it’s my favorite and I use it all the time.
It does all the things. I like that I can pressure cook a whole chicken and then air fry it to crisp up the skin.
How to Use The Instant Pot for Soup
The Instant Pot has a soup button, and you can always just hit that button and call it good. However, I like to adjust my times manually. I always cook on high pressure, and depending on the soup I adjust the cook time from 8-20 minutes.
I like to simmer soups on the stove all day, so I cook my soups in the Instant Pot a little longer then most food bloggers but if you do this keep in mind that rice can get soggy. If that doesn’t bother you, go for it. If it does, keep the cook times less.
How Much Liquid Do I Need to Cook Soup in the Instant Pot/Ninja Foodi?
You need at minimum 1 cup of liquid (water, broth, etc). Most soups have at least 4 cups of liquid in it, so you’re golden.
Is Southwest Chicken Soup Healthy?
Yes, this pressure cooker southwest chicken soup is healthy. It’s full of vegetables, lean protein, and has a high fiber content for a serving.
How many calories is southwestern chicken soup?
1/6th of the recipe is only 289 calories! Add an extra 8 calories if you’re topping with a tablespoon of 0% plain greek yogurt.
Southwest chicken soup macros
If you’re counting macros, here is a rough guide.
Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 6g
This recipe also has 8 grams of protein and if you add a tablespoon of 0% greek yogurt it will add 1 more gram of protein.
I use a calorie calculator built into the recipe card below. Is it 100% accurate? No, but it will give you an idea. If you’re a die-hard macro tracker, you will have to weigh it all and do the numbers yourself. I’m just here for a helpful guide.
How to Make Southwest Chicken Soup in the Instant Pot
What I love cooking soup (and most recipes) in the Instant Pot/pressure cooker is that you can toss everything in, set it, and forget it.
There are no special steps with this recipe, which makes it quick and easy (my favorite).
Healthy Instant Pot Soup Recipes
If you like this recipe, try these other pressure cooker soup recipes:
- Chicken Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Healthy Kale and Sausage Soup with Cauliflower Rice
- Pot Roast Soup in the Ninja Foodi
- How to Make Bone Broth in The Ninja Foodi in 1 Hour
Instant Pot Southwest Chicken Soup
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 onion
- 1 green pepper diced
- 1 jalapeno diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 14 oz canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 14 oz fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup long grain rice I used basmati
- 1 cup cauliflower rice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 juice of lime
- 1 lb skinless boneless chicken breasts
- greek yogurt
- tortillas chips
- Add the avocado oil to the bottom of the pressure cooker and hit the saute button.
- Add the green pepper, jalapeno, and onion. Saute until onion is translucent. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and seal the lid on the pressure cooker. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Let it vent naturally for 10 minutes and then quick release.
- Using two forks and shredd the chicken breasts (or take them out and cup them into cubes, whatever works best for you). Serve.
- For extra protein, add a dollop of greek yogurt to the soup and top with some tortilla chips. Enjoy.