If you’re looking for an overnight oats recipe that’s perfect for summer, this strawberry rhubarb protein overnight oats will be right up your alley. Whether you have it for breakfast, lunch, or a snack you’re going to love it!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Protein Overnight Oats
Overnight oats are a popular oats recipe for meal prep. However, as delicious and easy as they are, they are often missing some protein for a one and done meal and you typically have to have some eggs or something else on the side.
For this healthy overnight oats recipe, I used a scoop of plant-based vanilla protein powder (I used this one) but you can also mix in protein sources like plain greek yogurt, cottage cheese, or ricotta cheese.
What Kind of Oats to Use for Overnight Oats
To make overnight oatmeal, it’s best to use rolled oats (also known as old fashioned oats).
These oats absorb the liquid to the point where they’re soft but not mushy (like quick oats). To add even more texture you can make overnight oats with chia seeds as well (like I did with this recipe).
What to Make Overnight Oats In
I prefer to make and store overnight oats in a jar, more specifically a mason jar.
They’re easy to store and transport which makes them my favorite but you can also mix it up in a bowl or any reusable food container.
Do whatever works best for you. There is no right or wrong way of doing this.
Hot or Cold?
I put a story on Instagram asking who prefers cold oatmeal vs hot oatmeal when it came to their favorite overnight oatmeal recipes.
The majority of the answers preferred warm.
You can serve it however you prefer. Either take it straight from the fridge and eat it or microwave it for a minute and serve it that way. This is why I love mason jars.
Don’t forget, if you’re looking to establish healthy habits (like adding more vegetables to your diet in fun and tasty ways) be sure to secure a spot in the 30 Days to a Healthy Habits Challenge.
Are Overnight Oats Healthy?
As with most recipes, protein overnight oats being healthy depends on what you mix in. Whole foods like fruit, honey, etc … sure.
Mixing oats with chocolate syrup a ton of peanut butter, not so much. It’s important to remember portion sizes (1 tablespoon vs 1/4 cup) and to be mindful of how much sugar is added.
Tip: Apple sauce is a great addition to help sweeten your oatmeal.
Here are some overnight oats benefits:
- Oats are a source of soluble fiber.
- They are satiating (helps you feel full).
- Oats stabilize blood sugar levels (source).
- They’re gluten free (as long as they’re in a GF facility).
Strawberry Rhubarb Recipes
I love a good strawberry rhubarb dessert or breakfast. I have a couple more strawberry rhubarb recipes here that I think you’ll like:
- Strawberry Rhubarb Chia Pudding Recipe
- Healthy Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce Recipe with No Refined Sugar
- Strawberry Rhubarb Baked Oatmeal Recipe (Dairy Free and Gluten Free)
How to Make Overnight Oats with Protein Powder
This easy overnight oats recipe is easy to adapt to your tastes. I used my strawberry rhubarb sauce in it with vanilla protein powders for a strawberries and cream base but you can try chocolate protein powder and bananas for a chunky monkey oats or whatever flavors you like.
Protein powder is a great low-calorie overnight oats hack, you can add more protein for satiety but for less energy.
Strawberry Rhubarb Protein Overnight Oats
- 1/2 cup oats
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1/4 cup
Strawberry Rhubarb Saucehttps://randaderkson.com/healthy-strawberry-rhubarb-sauce-recipe/ + 2 tablespoons
- coconut whip cream optional
- Mix together the almond milk, oats, protein powder, and chia seeds in a bowl. Taste. If your protein powder isn’t sweet enough, add a tablespoon of honey.
- In a mason jar (or reusable container) pour half the oat mixture in, then spoon 1/4 cup of the strawberry rhubarb sauce over top, add the sliced strawberries, and layer the remainder of the oats on top. Let sit overnight, covered, in the fridge.
- Top with additional sauce (if desired) and coconut whipped cream.