One of my favorite meal prep lunches is this roasted summer veggie salad bowl recipe. Not only is it easy to prepare, but it has a ton of flavor that shows plant-based eating isn’t boring.
This vegetable salad is also versatile. You can substitute the chickpeas for marinated tofu, chicken, or ground turkey.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Summer Veggie Salad Bowls
I’ve had a few more requests for healthy vegan recipes here on Randa Nutrition, so I decided to share this plant based summer veggie bowl.
It’s easy, it’s delicious, and it’s full of fiber and plant-based protein (thank you chickpeas and quinoa).
This recipe is featured in the Real Food Real Life Nutrition Guide but it’s so good, I knew this had to be shared on Randa Nutrition as well.
So here you go, a healthy summer salad that is not only perfect for meal prep lunches but also a dinner that’s packed with flavor too.
- vegetable broth (or chicken broth if not vegan/vegetarian)
- red bell peppers
- avocado oil
- chickpeas I used canned
- pickled carrots (or regular carrots to roast)
- pea shoots
Other veggies to try: beets, potatoes, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers.
Sundried Tomato Vinaigrette
The homemade sundried tomato vinaigrette is the best part of this recipe! I love a zest, fresh dressing over salad and this has a ton of flavor!
The best part is you toss everything in a blender, it’s put together in seconds!
- sun-dried tomatoes (I used the ones in oil)
- extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- garlic cloves
- apple cider vinegar
Do I have to roast the vegetables?
You don’t have to, but I recommend it. Roasting the zuchinni, peppers, and carrots adds so much flavor and a hint of sweetness that offsets the zesty salad dressing.
Trust me, take the extra few minutes and roast the vegetables.
I like the roasted summer vegetables warm myself, but if you prefer cold summer veggie salads then you can refrigerate them (which I do for leftovers). Either way, it’s delicious.
I’ve made this recipe with both roasted chickpeas and without. Both are delicious, but roasted brings out the flavor that much more.
The same goes with kale, I’ve done pan fried kale and fresh, raw kale. Both are great.
If massage the kale for a few minutes to break down the fibers so it’s not as tough. It’s so good in veggie salads this way.
There are other proteins you can add to this salad aside from chickpeas. Try the following:
- Diced marinated extra firm tofu (fried in a skillet for a few minutes)
- Ground turkey or chicken
- White beans
- Black beans
How to Make Roasted Summer Veggie Salad Bowls
There is a little bit of work involved in this recipe, not much but more than I typically create for salads here on Randa Nutrition.
Don’t get overwhelmed! It’s still super easy, it just involves a little bit of veggie roasting.
More Salads to Try
- Easy Cheeseburger Salad Recipe
- Mexican Quinoa Salad Recipe
- Thai Chicken Veggie Noodle Salad with Creamy Peanut Dressing
Roasted Summer Veggie Salad Bowls
- Preheat oven to 425F and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Add the quinoa and vegetable broth in a sauce pan, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and place the lid back on for five more minutes.
- While the quinoa cooks, place the red pepper and zucchini on a sheet pan. Season with salt, pepper, and rub with avocado oil. Roast for 25 minutes. For the last 10 minutes, add the chickpeas to the pan.
- Remove from the oven and let cool, then chop the vegetables into smaller pieces (if needed).
- Add the kale to a skillet with a splash of olive oil and over medium heat stir the kale until it is slightly wilted.
For the vinaigrette
- In a blender add the vinaigrette ingredients and blend until smooth.