Just when you thought banana bread couldn’t get any better, this happened. Healthy peanut butter banana bread. Yes, you read that right – peanut butter. The secret ingredient? It’s not so much a secret anymore, it’s caramelized bananas. This brings on the sweetness with no refined sugar added.
Peanut Butter Banana Bread
You are going to want to add this healthy peanut butter banana loaf to your meal plan this week.
Oh. my. yum.
Serve this up as breakfast to go with your morning coffee, or plan it for a sweet treat at the end of the day. It’s doesn’t matter. All that matters is that you make this, ASAP.
Do you need brown bananas for banana bread?
Typically, yes but not with this recipe.
The secret lays in the caramelization.
In this banana loaf recipe, the bananas are being caramelized with the maple syrup and coconut oil.
Doing this releases all the natural sugars present in the banana so they are extra sweet (which is the main reason why we don’t need to add any refined sugar to this recipe).
This is a huge win.
Why is there a mix of flours in this recipe? Can I use all purpose flour?
This twist on a banana bread recipe uses a mix of oat and whole wheat flours. The mix of these two flours gives the banana bread an amazing texture. Feel free to use whatever you have on hand.
By the way, here’s how to make oat flour.
If you’re using a gluten free flour, make sure it’s a blend.
The fantastic thing about a recipe is that you’re welcome to play with it to make it your own – just don’t shoot the messenger if it doesn’t turn out 100%. You may have to play with it.
By popular request, I am slowly adding container counts for those of you following the Ultimate Portion Fix. This way you can see if it works for your plan for Beachbody programs like 21 Day Fix, LIIFT4, 80 Day Obsession, and 10 Rounds.
For 1/8th of this recipe, it counts as a treat swap for a yellow container if you’re following Ultimate Portion Fix.
How to make healthy peanut butter banana bread
Don’t skip the peanut butter swirls!
Well, you can if you want but that is where the flavour is going to happen! Let’s not forget this also adds some delicious healthy fats and a little extra protein.
PS: While you’re here, drooling over this recipe, you may also like these coconut flour waffles.
Healthy Peanut Butter Banana Bread
- Melt the coconut oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the bananas, the vanilla, the cinnamon, and the maple syrup. Cook for around 5 minutes or until the bananas have caramelized, mashing them with the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a baking pan and set aside.
- In a bowl mix the banana mixture with the greek yogurt. Beat in the eggs and mix until well incorporated (around 2 minutes). Add the flours and the baking powder and mix in well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Drop teaspoonsful of peanut butter onto the banana bread batter and gently swirl with the tip of a knife.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until done.